"There's a bit of magic in everything, and some loss to even things out." -Lou Reed

Saturday, July 25, 2009

A Beautiful Mystery Solved



During the year 2000, I was fortunate to make two trips to Paris. My first trip was in May, and was the trip that made me fall in love with the City of Light. Before I had left for Paris, a friend had asked me to bring her back a particular perfume by Annick Goutal. Once I arrived, I found the address of the boutique and made my way there. I ended up falling in love with the perfume myself, and made the sales person in the shop very happy that day.

I will always be thankful to my friend for two reasons. Helping me discover Eau d'Hadrien, and for leading me (without knowing it) to one of my favorite memories of my trip. As I walked out of that boutique, I made a right turn and wandered into such a glorious surprise. There in the center of a circle of amazing buildings were the most unique and wonderful sculptures I had ever seen. The statues were incredibly tall, I can't do justice in explaining how they towered over everything. But I remember when I first walked into that plaza and saw them, I was awestruck. I couldn't even move for a few seconds. They were gorgeous and I never would have known they were there were it not for my friend's request.

I took so many pictures of these sculptures, and I tried desperately to find out more information about the artist. But I couldn't find anything near or around the pieces.

I had all my photos developed in Paris and when I got those particular pictures back, I was so pleased with them. They are still my favorite pictures from my trip. (A few are pictured above).

For all these years, I have never known about the artist-- who it was, or anything about the sculptures.

Then, tonight, I followed one of my regular habits, checking the Paris Daily Photo blog. I hadn't been there in a few days, so I scrolled down to see the last few listings. And there, in one of the photos, was one of the statues from the exhibit I had seen. I was so excited, I could barely stand it. I clicked on the post, which listed the artist's name, Louis Derbré, and that led me to his website. All of his work is amazing, but I am so thrilled to have solved a nine-year-old mystery. I love when the internet works like this--making connections, solving mysteries--just the good things.

I also love the world of blogging that I have become a part of. There are so many things I have learned and experienced because of my fellow bloggers, and I will always be grateful I took the steps to enter this medium.

19 comments:

lydia eve July 25, 2009 at 2:57 PM  

I was just reading some travel article recently that suggested you always do those little "errands" that friends might ask you to do in a city you travel to. Very cool to hear just how right they are about that advice!

Also, *sigh* I miss Paris.

Also, how are you liking Edgar Sawtelle? I'm not a dog person, but I loved that book!

lady elle July 28, 2009 at 12:02 PM  

I love this. And wholeheartedly agree with the *sigh* of missing Paris myself. This entry echoes many of my recent pleasant sentiments about sleuthing things via blogging. Great blog!

Joshua July 28, 2009 at 10:17 PM  

Hi, there.
I visited and followed your blog.
I loved it.
I invite you to visit my blog
My blog is http://artznecdotes.blogspot.com/

HereBeDragons July 29, 2009 at 1:20 PM  

Those are some beautiful sculptures. Wonderful.

Dandy July 29, 2009 at 3:34 PM  

Someday, when I go back to Paris, I will visit those!

Oberon July 29, 2009 at 3:43 PM  

...i invite you to join globalove think tank.

Cheryl - Somewhat Crunchy July 29, 2009 at 7:22 PM  

Great story! I love France also, I only had a day and a half in Paris, the rest of my time was spent in the Languedoc-Roussillon region. My family and I had a magical two weeks. We plan to but a gite there in a few years.

poefusion July 30, 2009 at 9:32 AM  

Isn't it great when we can find out something we didn't once know because of blogging?

Anonymous,  July 31, 2009 at 9:46 AM  

http://7d9401e2.zxxo.net

Teenage Envy July 31, 2009 at 10:35 PM  

The statues truly are fantastically beautiful. It must have been a great trip to Paris. Glad you solved your mystery.

Anonymous,  August 3, 2009 at 11:24 PM  

I went back to Paris this past June and everytime I'm there it seems to get better and better.

She's Cookin' August 5, 2009 at 5:46 PM  

I also love Eau d'Hadrien, my husband gave it to me for my birthday a few years ago. Congrats on being a Blog of Note. I have a new website http://www.topmomblog.com and just started a blog on Blogger and am enjoying all the talented writers and photographers that I'm discovering.

Christina August 6, 2009 at 11:45 PM  

Interestingly, I just found your blog by accidentally hitting "next blog" and started reading because I just returned from Paris a month ago. I took a picture of that same statue in your first picture, but the location appears different. When I saw it it was in front of La Madeleine. Thank you for the info on the artist!

Unknown August 7, 2009 at 11:33 AM  

My husband and I are planning on going to Europe next summer, hopefully on an art tour to include Paris. I sooo want to see Paris, and ART, great art, sculpture and buildings. But then there's Venice and Rome and....? I can so imagine standing in front of some grand sculpture like your angles and being mesmerized. It's so great you saw these and that you finally found info on them.

Anonymous,  August 10, 2009 at 1:48 AM  

i wud lik to visit paris...:)

Stina Sardinha Wulfe August 10, 2009 at 8:45 PM  

finding something like that on the internet is one of the most satisfying feelings ever. Maybe it's sign that it's time to go back and visit!

Labels

  © Blogger template ProBlogger Template by Ourblogtemplates.com 2008

Back to TOP